Minh Ba, medicine and the midwest

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Estrogen-->Testosterone

So I finished up with peds last month at the hospital which was a good experience, but it has been a crazy transition from being around predominantly women physicians and residents at the Children's hospital to now working in a specialty dominated by testosterone. This month I have orthopedic surgery, and its basically filled with lots of blood, broken bones, metal prosthesis and powertools. The speciatly itself, is pretty remarkable, and while it still may be an option, its not at the top of my list. I big problem about this whole month, is the rotation itself. The orthopedics group is a great group, but there are so many residents and three other students, that I get limited to being 3rd assist during the surgery, or only watching. This rotation is more of "face time" if I want to do my residency with this group, unfortunately if I don't, this rotation may be pretty worthless because I don't get much hands on experience, compared to my last couple rotations. I'm really limited to doing scutwork when it is available, but besides writing a few prescriptions, changing dressings, and occasionally scrubbing into some cases, this month is not looking too exciting. The worse part of it all is the long hours, which drag like none other when you are standing around. So far this week, I've only scrubbed one case to hold up a leg, cut a few sutures and throw in some staples. It was a pretty cool surgery to see though. The patient had shattered his tibia and fibula about midshaft, and the surgery consisted of placing a rod straight through the tibia. The surgery before that I watched was similar, but I only got to watch that from a distance, which was probably ok because the repetitive x-rays to confirm placement of the rod was probably good enough to destroy any chance of me having kids, which is why I made sure that on the surgery I scrubbed in on next to wear a lead vest. Since there are four students, we each only have to take a weekend of call, mine is this weekend of course. I feel like I haven't had a weekend off now without having to come into the hospital for over a month now, who knew this would be so painful. Anyways, enough of my bitching. My excitement for today after rounding/shadowing was playing a 2-on-2 game with Dustin against two high-school kids at the gym. Holy s#!t, I'm old and out of shape. Of course they beat us, but we have about 10yrs on them, that's 10 more years to f_ck up your body. So my whole goal of getting back into the gym, keeps biting me in the @$$. I can't get healthy eating the crap I eat at the hospital, and I'm too piss @$$ tired when I get home to lift, not to mention I have to look up stuff for the following days' surgeries. $#!t, more bitching. When did I get to become such a negative @$$ person?!? Oh well. That's all I got for now.

3 Comments:

  • Wow, I can't believe someone actually read my essay, I can't pay to have people read it here. Sorry I'm kind of catching up, so I'm gonna combine comments from other postings.

    I feel for you George. Especially for you, since you really are just a bit too nice around the ladies. Initially I would agree with Scott's take and just keep playing it the way you are, all you need to find is that one person, and its all good. Besides are you sure you want to be in that situation now anyways. Imagine trying to nurture a relationship while in med school, sure all the MD's on TV are doing it but don't forget that that shits make believe. Unless of coures its not, I wouldn't know since they won't let me into med school, so I'm kind of counting on you to tell me what its like in reality.

    I would suggest one tweak that you can try out. Flirt from the get-go. Even with friends, keep them guessing and they won't really be able to pin you down as George. Break the touch barrier by the end of the first meeting. A friendly nudge, pat or even punch to the shoulder to beat back that I'm just a firend type guy image.

    Finally don't think that the George image is permanent. Think of it this way, if your idea of that person has changed than theirs has the possibility of changing as well. I do agree that most times people are on different levels, even with friends. At one time I can consider someone my best friend but they might not share that sentiment at that moment, and then our places will flip somewhere down the road. Thats why its amazing when two people feel the same way about each other at the same time because it doesn't happen very often. What I would also suggest is a bout of boldness. Its up to you to gauge whether its worth it but if so, then risk the friendship in return for the relationship. Consider this, if it doesn't work out, then you can move on, and no longer be in a situation where your feelings are unrequieted. Its saying all or nothing at all. At the very least you're able to move on and even grow stronger. Either way Master Minh, you will one day be SHOGUN!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 AM  

  • Thanks Safavi,
    for your advice, it is much appreciated, and I will definitely take it to heart. Keep up your writing, I enjoy reading your thoughts on life, even if they have an Iranian point of view. TV is make believe?
    -Dang

    By Blogger Jimmy, at 9:16 AM  

  • From a girls perspective, you've just gotta take charge of things once in a while, ESP when you've gone too far down that 'frienship road'. No girl wants the 'ball in her court' all the time, so if you can be bold and just tell her you're taking her out one night (in a non-creepy way of course) I think you'll see the tables may turn for her.....just a thought

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home