Minh Ba, medicine and the midwest

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

C-Sections....and Slooooooooooooooowness

Holy crap...I'm dyin here...miraculously, somehow my blog and even myspace for some reason today got through the hospital computer internet block, don't know how, but works for me cause I am bored. First the good news, sort of...I got an interview invitation at an Orthopedic Program in OH. It's in a city called Massilon, which is between Columbus and Clevelend. I haven't set up a date yet, but the crummy part is that I just came from OH last week, so now I have to fly back out and spend some more money I don't have. Oh well...I'm hoping to put the interview off for a little bit if possible, in case I get another one out there in OH, so I don't have to make several trips. But overall, I'm stoked, cause it means at least I have a chance somewhere.

In other news...last night before I left we had a C-section delivery for a breech presentation. I was waiting on her all day to deliver...but the baby just would not progress any further, so the physician grabbed me to help him for a C-section. A good thing about not having this be a planned C-section...well not for the patient...but for me...was that I got to be first-assist. Normally all of the OB/GYN physicians work in tandem, leaving the student...that would be me...doing little but retracting the bladder...and staying out of the way. With such short notice, the physicians aren't able to have their partners come and help, so they are left with the low man on the totem pole...the lowly student. The C-section went successfully, I was a little worried at first, because it took some time for the baby to move around and cry, and actually looked a little lifeless for several seconds after the delivery, but it wasn't too long, before it started flopping around and crying. Strange enough...this morning we had only onoe delivery scheduled. The patient was to come in the morning and we were to give her some Pitocin to induce labor. Unfortunately, this baby was in breech presentation also, so again, she was brought to the OR for a C-section, and again...I got first dibbs to assist. But since that C-section...ohhh...at 8:00 this morning, I've done nothing but study ortho stuff. I've been confined to my "office" trying to study, and now I just want to peel out my eyeballs. Some genius thought that for this rotation the students should stay until 7 every day, even if nothing is going on, just in case, something miraculously shows up.

Anyways, I guess I should explain a little aobut breech presentation. Presentation for labor simply specifies what part of the baby is headed out first. Normal presentation is with the head presenting first, also known as vertex presentation. In addition normal is also with the occiput (back of the head) facing anterior.

When the baby presents butt first, it is considered a breech presentation, making it much more difficult to be delivered vaginally. Breech presentations occur in 2-4% of pregnancies. There are variations to the breech presentation, but the baby we had yesterday was a complete breech, and the one this morning a frank breech, with its feet up by its ears.



There's your damn education for the day.

2 Comments:

  • The baby in that graphic you have enlightened us with looks more like a diver. In the first one, he's all "cannonball!", and in the third he is in the middle of a jackknife. Plus you can tell he's drunk, he forgot his bathing suit at home...

    By Blogger Rob, at 5:33 AM  

  • Good stuff, Ba. I like learning. When you use words like "didactically" it would be nice if you could define them so my dumb, lazy ass doesn't have to look it up.

    di‧dac‧tic  /daɪˈdæktɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dahy-dak-tik]
    –adjective
    1. intended for instruction; instructive: didactic poetry.
    2. inclined to teach or lecture others too much: a boring, didactic speaker.
    3. teaching or intending to teach a moral lesson.
    4. didactics, (used with a singular verb) the art or science of teaching.
    Also, di‧dac‧ti‧cal.

    [Origin: 1635–45; < Gk didaktikós apt at teaching, instructive, equiv. to didakt(ós) that may be taught + -ikos -ic]

    —Related forms
    di‧dac‧ti‧cal‧ly, adverb
    di‧dac‧ti‧cism, noun

    By Blogger Schaefer, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home