Minh Ba, medicine and the midwest

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sports and the Humor in names

I love the weekend...nothing like sitting in front of the TV and watching football and some baseball. I've been toggling around channels to watch the Iowa and Georgia upset. Now I'm tuning in to the Tigers and A's game, hoping, yes I'm actually hoping for them to lose. Don't get me wrong, I want them to make it to the World Series, but if they lose tonight, they'll be playing at Comerica tommorrow afternoon, which will give me time to venture to downtown Detroit. I would've tried to go to the game today, but I'm on call for any cases that might come up in the hospital today. Sure I don't do much in the cases, but when you're trying to impress people in the program, you have to sacrifice your weekends (at least that's what I've been told by some residents, so I guess I won't try to look like the slacker). I already went in this morning for a hip fracture that was relatively easy to fix. It was broken near the neck of the femur (an intertrochanteric fracture), so to fix it we simply placed a rod down the shaft of the femur (called a gamma nail) and put a screw across the femoral neck to the femoral head to compact the fracture site. All in all, the procedure takes about 20-30minutes. Here is a picture of what the final outcome looks like:

Illustrative view of the gamma nail


Radiograph of the Gamma nail implanted

For the rest of the day I'll be stuck in front of the tube, and doing some preparation for my interviews next week, creating a presentation on ankle fractures, as well as some studying for cases next week. Thank god, there are games on all day.

As for the title of my blog...I was checking the score to the Arkansas game and noticed that they were destroying Southeast Missouri State. Since they were dominating so much, the backup quarterback to Mitch Mustain was in for a few plays, and his name is Casey Dick. Too bad that he wasn't playing when they were up against USC earlier this year...cause then it would be Dick vs. Booty. Get it...ha...get it...funny...i know. The other good matchup I remember was when the Yankees earlier this year were playing against the Blue Jays and it was Wang vs. Bush. Damn...just hilarious...there are your random thoughts for the day...out do that $#!t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home