Minh Ba, medicine and the midwest

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy New Year

Chuc mung nam moi! To all that may not know, today marks the beginning of the year of the pig. I hope Shaefer and Davis are having a good time celebrating the new year in the homeland, it should be a blast. There is really not much to do out here in North Carolina for Vietnamese/Chinese new year (They should just lump it together as Asian New Year), so I decided that I would go to the Duke vs. GTech game instead. Obviously since my prior prediction of the Husky's game was erroneus, I decided that I would just keep my mouth shut in deciding beforehand who might win this game. It was somewhat of an interesting game to attend. It was one of the few games in the last 11 years that the Bluedevils weren't ranked in the top 25. The other game was earlier on this week against Boston College. Go figure...I arrive at Duke and they lose four games in a row to get dropped out of the top 25. More importantly though, was that it was Coach K's 700th win. He has been at Duke for 27 years! Longer than I have been alive. Most people didn't realize it until the end of the game, amidst the mad rush to get out, the announcer halted everyone for an important message, to present coach K with the game ball for his 700th win.

The game itself was a great experience to have. I went with McCarthy since Uhlman and Devo were too busy studying for their test on Monday. We crowded into the grad student section about 8 rows back from the basket. The entire game consisted of nonstop cheers. A few consisting of, or ending with, "eat shit," but most of those were directed at North Carolina...even though we weren't playing them?!?! Who knows...probably for the same reason that most of our cheers involve a "fuck wazzu." The atmosphere was great to be a part of. Cameron indoor isn't that big, and when all the ticket holders are seated, they let in all the standby fans in for free to completely fill the house.



1 Comments:

  • One day you'll learn how to spell my name. I'm glad you're having fun and blogging more often. I vowed that I would never return to Oklahoma after graduating from basic training but i might make an exception to visit you.

    By Blogger Schaefer, at 4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home